Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Burrito in a Bowl


Often, when I eat a burrito, I take my first bite and the rest of the burrito breaks apart and I end up eating the darn thing with a fork. Not any more! I now make my burritos without a tortilla (plus, it saves on calories, if you are like me and always on a diet).

These Burrito Bowls are a favorite of my family's because they are made indivdually, so each one of us can personalize the bowl to our liking. No more wining kids. That's a plus. (Photo from Iowa Girl Eats)

Burrito in a Bowl

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 packet of taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
2 1/2 T. cilantro, chopped
3 T. lime juice
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 avocados, peeled and diced
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix taco seasoning with water as directed on package inside a large Ziploc baggie. Add chicken and turn to coat. Allow to marinate in refridgerator for up to 2 hours.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare rice according to package directions. When done, toss with lime juice and cilantro. Keep warm.
3. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Place chicken in an oven proof dish. Cook for 20 minutes, until cooked through.
4. Chop chicken in to bitesized chunks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
5. Heat beans in microwave.
6. Assemble burrito bowl...rice, chicken, beans, cheese, avocado, green onions. Top with salsa and sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio