Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sloppy Janes


Yes, I typed that right. Sloppy Jane. Not Joe. These are better than Sloppy Joes, I promise. There are a few recipes in my collection that I go back to over and over. I love these. Comfort food at it's best. When I was a kid, my dad made Sloppy Joes from a packet of seasoning. I did not like them. At all. I would make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner on Sloppy Joe night and my family would call me crazy and weird. Do you feel sorry for me? Thanks. Anyway, back to 2010. I get excited when I declare it Sloppy Jane night. Make it this week and let me know what you think.

Sloppy Janes

1 ½ lb. hamburger

1 lrg. onion, chopped fine

½ green pepper, chopped fine

1 T. brown sugar

2 tsp. red wine vinegar

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 ½ tsp. minced garlic

1 lrg. can (15 oz.) tomato sauce

1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste

salt and pepper to taste


Hamburger Buns

Butter or margarine


Combine beef, onion, and green pepper in a large skillet coated with 1 tsp. vegetable oil. Brown until cooked through. In a seperate bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, tomato sauce and paste. Add the tomato mixture to the meat, lower heat to a simmer. Cooked until warmed through and well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Butter the buns on both sides and broil until lightly browned. This is important because it helps the buns to stand up to the meat and not go all soggy on you. Enjoy!


Leave me a comment, please and let me know what types of recipes you would like to see on this blog. Healthy? Vegetarian? Yummy Gooey Desserts? Simple Appetizers? I would love love love some feedback, please. Don't make me beg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio