Monday, April 5, 2010

Lemony Rice Soup with Ham and Spring Vegetables


I'm hungry. I probably should not blog about food when I am hungry because I can not be held responsible for what I say. I may say something crazy like, "Reece's Peanut Butter Eggs are a great choice for breakfast."

Anyway, I am sure many of you have leftover ham from Easter. Unless you are like my son, and have three huge servings for dinner. This recipe is from Epicurious, and I make each spring and I adore it. My husband likes it with a salad, and I love the leftovers for lunch the following day.

Lemony Rice Soup with Spring Vegetables

3 Tbsp butter
1 c. thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
4 c. low salt chicken broth
1/4 c. long grain white rice
10 asparagus stalks, trimmed and cut to 1/2 inch pieces
1 c. diced ham
1 1/2 tsp. (or more) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel

1. Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat. Add leeks; saute 3 minutes. Add broth and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add water or more broth if you like it with more liquid.
2. Add asparagus; cover and simmer until the rice and asparagus are tender, about 4 minutes. Mix in ham, lemon juice and peel. Simmer 2 minutes to blend flavors. Season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio